Tuesday, December 28, 2010

"So, where is he?"

One of the questions I'm most often asked by friends and family during this deployment is "So, where is he?"

It's a difficult question to answer. Most of the time, I respond honestly that I don't know. Other times, I can give vague answers based on what's been posted on the ship's official Facebook page or reported in the news.

For the most part, Jason doesn't know where he is, either. It's not usually relevant to his work, and the ship's scheduled movements and location are on a need-to-know basis.

I'm a firm believer in OPSEC (operational security), and everything that I post here is public information, often released by the Navy itself. I would never write or say anything that would endanger my husband, his ship, or its mission.

That said, here's what I do know about where they're going.

The U.S.S. Carl Vinson carrier group is patrolling the U.S. 5th Fleet and U.S. 7th Fleet areas of responsibility. Here's a map to give you an idea of where those are:


So, lots of "nice" places like Australia, but also some current "trouble" spots like the Koreas and, well, the entire 5th fleet region. There's a reason that it's so small.

I'll give news and updates about how and where Jason is and what he's doing as I'm able, of course, but please don't ever be offended if military family members seem reticent about sharing the latest on their loved ones. They don't say "loose lips sink ships" for no reason.

No comments: