Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I'm driving a plank.

Despite us both being sick for most of her visit, I had a great week with my sister, laughing until we cried coughed and having the kinds of times that become inside jokes (like the one in the subject line). I had tears in my eyes as I dropped her off and drove away from the airport this morning.

I feel like I haven't had nearly enough time with her. I miss how it used to be, always having her in the next bedroom and doing everything together. It makes me sad that it'll never be that way again. I guess that's part of growing up.

Her leaving today reminded me of that other separation in my life right now. While I do not mind being alone--and truly enjoy it most of the time--it stings a bit to go back to being on my own after having my very best partner in crime by my side for a whole week. Jason has been gone for 87 days. That's 7,516,800 seconds during which I haven't heard his voice or seen his face. Yes, I get e-mails regularly, and I am very grateful for that. I know that not everyone gets that privilege. But still, it's hard, and I was feeling sorry for myself.

When I stumbled across this video tonight, it reminded me that I can do this. I can endure. This song carried me through a rough patch a few years ago when some haters called my fitness as a wife into question (which was seriously uncalled for and had more to do with their prejudices than it had to do with me). Although this version is instrumental, the lyrics still ring as true to me now as they did back then.


If anyone ever surprises me with a string quartet, I want them to play this.

3 comments:

Connie said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful visit with your sister. Sounds like you had a great time.

Beautiful song!

Angela Noelle said...

Sisters are the bestest :)

Anonymous said...

Is that an "If anyone ever surprises me with a string quartet" *nudge, nudge, wink wink* ?

Really, great video.