Sunday, May 1, 2011

Quotes from the Boat, Volume 6

My husband says funny things. Funny things that often become even funnier in the voiceless environment of e-mails sent amidst the chaos of deployment on an aircraft carrier. In my Quotes from the Boat series, I'll be sharing select gems plucked straight from my e-mail correspondence with the king of the cruise himself. From funny, to touching, to just plain weird, these are Jason's musings from aboard the "big metal city."
---
Boy, will I have some stories to tell you when I get back! The first night we pulled in [to the United Arab Emirates] was crazy! I had watch that night and people were going nuts from being out to sea so long.

I'll tell you, an aircraft carrier is not the place to be sick. Nobody gives a shit if you don't feel well. Apparently, I'm only allowed to be sick in between the hours of 0815 - 0915 and 1900 - 2000. They gave me a bunch of shit for going to medical after their sick call hours. Imagine going to the doctor's office because you're sick, and the doctor yells at you for being sick.

Today I took it upon myself to just stay in my rack. It's my own version of SIQ. I told the first classes in my shop that I'll be in my rack if they need me. Considering medical on this ship is too chicken-shit to give a sick man a day off.

Maybe I'll get real lucky and come down with pneumonia and be sent home.

I just want to spend as much time together as we can. :)

I definitely do not miss cleaning up [cat] poop every day. I shovel shit all
day dealing with the Navy.

Things have been pretty tense around here. Everyone is getting on each others' nerves. People have been blowing up on their supervisors. It became such an issue that we had to have a meeting tonight.

I'm just spending my time trying to stay sane. Six months out to sea will drive anyone nuts. It's hard to never be able to escape from your job. It's Navy, Navy, Navy all day every day.

I hope you sleep well and that you do not wake up to fecal matter on the floor.

No comments: