Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Weekend adventures westward.

Since Jason got his Corvette out of storage last weekend, he's been itching to drive it on an adventure. Saturday morning he had to take it to a dealership an hour away for an oil change. That two hour trip wasn't enough, so Saturday evening we hatched a plan to take a journey to Framingham to visit Game Universe, a video game store he found online. The drive was great--I felt like we were Bonnie and Clyde on the run. We got to the shopping center where it was supposed to be and parked at a bank nearby (Jason won't park by other cars when he drives the Corvette--he's afraid people will run shopping carts into it). After wandering around like idiots for a few minutes, we finally found it in the basement of the building. We descended into a lair of geeks the likes of which I haven't seen since I saw David Prowse speak at Celebration Cinema in Lansing several years ago. Jason got a game and I got a kick out of seeing video game systems from the 1980s for sale, complete with their boxes. Jason pointed out that keeping the original packaging increases resale value because collectors covet such things. I guess now I have to let him keep all those cardboard boxes he has stashed in our walk-in closet (maybe someday the Wii box will be worth something).

Since my idea of adventure does not include shopping for video games, I made sure we looked up restaurants in the area to get a taste of something new. We settled on Minado, an upscale Japanese buffet in nearby Natick. And by upscale, I mean it cost $28 per person before beverages and had a station where a chef prepared made-to-order crepes. That's pretty ritzy compared to other Asian food buffets I've visited. The place was packed (and much of the crowd was of Asian origin--always a good sign), so we wandered around for a while at the stores next door, where Jason found a Gamestop and bought more video games (I told you they're his luxury...). When we were finally seated, we ordered Shirley Temples off the drink menu, which also came with a warning: customers eating the fish out of sushi but leaving the rice on their plates will have an extra 30% added to their bill. People do that? The food was to die for, and their vegan options were plentiful. My favorites were the seaweed salad and avocado rolls. I'll be honest, I love to eat seaweed--probably more than most white people. I've been craving it for the past few days and trying to think of reasons to go back to Natick so I can have it again, but I haven't come up with anything good. Note to self: make friends in Natick.

May your weekends be light on video games and heavy on seaweed!

2 comments:

Angela said...

Why would leaving the rice add to your bill???

Also, Shirley Temples are delicious.

Heidi Renée said...

Who knows? Rice is so cheap, I don't see the point. A lot of people must have wasted a lot of rice at one point to prompt them to make that rule.