Friday, April 22, 2011

Foodie Friday: I am a hummus machine

It's Foodie Friday! Foodie Friday is my weekly feature that gives you a window into my kitchen. I love to cook, I love to eat, I love to read cookbooks, and I love to inspire people to give vegan food a chance. Thus, Foodie Friday was whipped up and baked to perfection.
I made batches of pita chips and white bean and dill hummus tonight, but since I already told you about that hummus recipe, let's talk about another one that I made a while ago, sun-dried tomato and basil hummus. This is based on a recipe from 1,000 Vegan Recipes, but I feel like I really made it my own.



It's colorful! I enjoyed mine with homemade whole wheat tortilla chips.

Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Hummus

6 garlic cloves
1 6.5 oz. jar sun-dried tomatoes in oil
2 15 oz. cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup tahini
2 tsp. water
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. salt

Process garlic, chickpeas, tahini, and the entire jar of tomatoes (including the oil) in a food processor until smooth. Add the water, olive oil, lemon juice, basil, and salt and process again. Seasonings and liquids can be adjusted to achieve your desired texture and flavor--the next time I make this I'm going to use even more basil. Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to serve.

No comments: