Wednesday, February 25, 2009

We don't need expanded veterans' health benefits, we need cat health benefits.

Jasper had another day at the vet today to see how he's doing on his new insulin. We're going to raise his dosage slightly, but the good news is that he does not have a pituitary tumor or growth hormone imbalance like we previously suspected. I was so happy to hear it that I handed over another $195 without a second thought. That brings Jasper's vet bills to $1500 this year alone. We have our fingers crossed that this kind of insulin works out so that we can start saving for his college tuition.

I'm kidding.

Moving on. I didn't catch all of last night's presidential address, but I did tune in just in time for this part:

"As we meet here tonight, our men and women in uniform stand watch abroad and more are readying to deploy. To each and every one of them, and to the families who bear the quiet burden of their absence, Americans are united in sending one message: We honor your service, we are inspired by your sacrifice and you have our unyielding support. To relieve the strain on our forces, my budget increases the number of our soldiers and Marines. And to keep our sacred trust with those who serve, we will raise their pay and give our veterans the expanded health care and benefits that they have earned."
I hope so, Mr. Obama. My family's future depends on it. That gorgeous man up there has sixteen more years to go before he's eligible to retire from the Navy (he'll only be 43 years old).

Did anyone else who watched it totally dig Hillary Clinton's hot pink jacket? I heart her.

5 comments:

Bayjb said...

Such a cute picture! Wow I can't believe vets are that expensive. We have pet insurance at my job but I know that is a rariety

Samsmama said...

$1500 this year? As in 2009? Or in the last 12 months? Either way, that cat is pretty lucky to have you. In my house his luck would have run out by now. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Oh man poor Jasper! I can't believe he's had some many issues and $1500?? My hubby would kill the kitty. Or me. He is not a cat lover.

And I TOTALLY keed. He would never kill the cat. LOL

Heidi Renée said...

As in 2009, Samsmama. January and February alone. *sigh* We don't have kids yet, so we spend all of our money on the cats. Well, ok, not ALL of it. :)

Jamie said...

I hope his insulin does the trick!