Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I'm addicted to a tuberous rhizome.

Lately I have had this obsession with ginger. I'm becoming adept at working it into every meal (like this one) and I often find myself craving the taste of it. I don't know what's the matter with me.

Peep my delicious gingery accomplices: Torani sugar-free gingerbread syrup, Makoto ginger dressing, Newman's Own Lighten Up low fat sesame ginger dressing, Reed's Extra Ginger Brew, and Bundaberg Ginger Beer. I got the dressings at the commissary and everything else at World Market.

On Sunday I decided to use some of my leftover Thanksgiving baking supplies to make some gingerbread cookies. I had creamed my wet ingredients and was combining the dry ingredients when I realized that I didn't have any ginger. How that key ingredient never made it onto my shopping list, I do not know. You'd think that I wouldn't have trouble remembering that gingerbread contains ginger, but apparently I do.

It was getting late at that point, the commissary was already closed, and there was no way that I was going to make a trip into town to see if any of the civilian grocery stores were still open. So I improvised. Pumpkin pie spice has ginger in it, so I dumped in some of that and an extra shake of nutmeg. I've made similar swaps before, so I figured the end result wouldn't be that bad. The cookies turned out nicely, although I prefer very spicy gingerbread and spicy, these aren't. Nevertheless, they're moist and delicious in their own lightly-gingered way. They're perfect with a cup of gingerbread-flavored coffee in the morning.

P.S.: This one's for Bev:


4 comments:

Brittany Ann said...

Ginger is hands down my favorite flavor. It's part of the reason I love Asian cuisine. When I eat sushi, I order extra ginger. Yum!

Bayjb said...

I don't mind ginger but I'm not a fan of it on the sushi plate. The taste turns me off.

Cary McNeal said...

What the hell was that?

Bombchell said...

quite creative w the ginger substitute