Friday, November 19, 2010

Foodie Friday: These Recipes Were Stolen from Maris

It's Foodie Friday! Foodie Friday is my weekly feature that gives you a window into my kitchen. I love to cook, I love to eat, I love to read cookbooks, and I love to inspire people to give vegan food a chance. Thus, Foodie Friday was whipped up and baked to perfection.
When I was in high school, my drama teacher had some pencils specially made that said "Stolen from Dee Greenberg." With tens of dozens of students always needing something to mark their scripts with, she went through pencils fast. I, of course, took one of these pencils, and I still have it today. It's one of those things that I just can't get rid of, even ten years later. Yes, I am incredibly sentimental.

I'll be keeping this week's recipes for years, too--in my bookmarks, at least. They're both from Maris of In Good Taste, from whom I've stolen before... repeatedly.

First up, curried pumpkin soup. To veganize, simply swap the butter and milk for your nondairy replacements of choice. I used Smart Balance organic whipped buttery spread and 8th Continent original soy milk, which were great.

Next I made Maris' warm quinoa salad with roasted sweet potatoes and sage. I tucked it into some roasted acorn squashes to make it extra special. Jason refilled his squash and then ate it when he was done using it as a bowl.


Jason had steak night tonight, so I took it upon myself to get creative with puff pastry and some leftovers, including the warm quinoa salad from above and rice and pea soup from 1,000 Vegan Recipes. The concept is good, but I need to refine it and figure out how to make the puff pastry stay together better.


Next Friday: Thanksgiving food roundup!

No comments: