Friday, May 7, 2010

Foodie Friday: At least the blueberries were healthy

It's Foodie Friday! Foodie Friday is my weekly feature that gives you a window into my kitchen. I love to cook, I love to eat, I love to read cookbooks, and I love to inspire people to give vegan food a chance. Thus, Foodie Friday was whipped up and baked to perfection.

I've been trying really hard to eat healthfully and crack down on my portion size this week. Overeating is one of the reasons that I've put on so much weight. I desperately need to retrain my brain's "full" switch. I have been very tough on myself all week. I'm not going to lie: it's hard. Late last night Jason ate an entire box of macaroni and cheese for dinner and it was all I could do to stop myself from licking the pot. The old me could have polished off a whole box of my own. I'm not going to allow the new me to do things like that. And while I force my brain to reset, I'm not going to tempt myself with "just one bite" either. It's too easy for me to fall down the rabbit hole. I have to teach myself some discipline the hard way before I attempt moderation.

And now that I've said that I'm going to look like a total liar when I tell you what I made last weekend.

On Sunday I got up before Jason, got some things done, and baked scones for breakfast.

Blueberry-almond scones from 1,000 Vegan Recipes.

When His Highness finally got out of bed, he didn't want blueberry scones. He wanted blueberry pancakes. Because I am The Best Wife Ever, I obliged.


Those are Morningstar Farms Veggie Sausage Patties.

Yeah, I started my crackdown after the blueberry-fest.

I only made one other meal worth talking about this week: white bean chicken chili. I used this recipe as a starting point, and added a chopped yellow onion, basil, and chili powder to the mix. I used chopped Morningstar Farms Chik'n Strips for the "chicken." We both loved it and I'll definitely be making it again.


Losing this weight would be so much easier if I were a rubbish cook.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

The white bean chicken soup looks goooood. The pancake/scone thing made me giggle, though. If Anton told me he didn't want to eat whatever I'd just worked on, I'd point him in the direction of the pantry...after throwing a spatula at his head. You are the best wife ever!