Saturday, June 5, 2010

Happy birthday, beebeards!

Did you know that June is Jacob and Jasper's birthday month?

It is! They're five years old this month.

Since we don't know what day they were born, we consider the whole month their birthday. What we do know is that they are littermates and that some idiot person dumped their tiny, adorable kitten butts at the Virginia Beach SPCA soon after they were born.

We adopted them a little bit later, when they were big enough to not require constant care, in August 2005, when they were two months old.

Who could resist these faces?


Not us.

Fittingly, June is also Adopt A Shelter Cat Month. I would like nothing better for my boys' birthday than to know that somebody out there gave a homeless cat or dog a second chance at life.

So, please, if you're thinking about sharing your life and home with a whiskerface, adopt!

Three to four million cats and dogs must be euthanized at shelters every year simply because there aren't enough homes for them. Every animal bought from a pet store or a breeder means that a sweet, loving animal at a shelter faces being put down.

Don't be a part of the problem. Adopt!

I'm glad that I did.

Happy birthday month, beebeards!


Do you have any rescued animals? Tell me about them!

6 comments:

Jessi J. Walton said...

Awwww such cute lil baby kitties!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Fur Babies!

Brittany Ann said...

Happy Birthday to your fur babies!

Salt said...

Awww cutenesses! Happy birthday to those boys!
Our guys are both rescues. I wouldn't have done it any other way!

The Random Blogette said...

Super cuteness! Our dog Buddy was rescued. His birthday is the first week of July. I think it's July 3rd. He will be 5! We rescued him a little over 3 years ago. At first we were worried because he didn't want to play or do anything. He just moped around. But, it didn't take long for him to act like a puppy! He is the most well mannered dog I have ever met. He even gets mad if we don't wipe his paws off after he has been outside in the rain. I love him!

Jamie said...

Happy Birthday Boys! I like the picture with them holding tails.

Stores that sell cats and dogs make me physically ill. The pet store next to my book store was advertising that they had kittens and puppies and Anton wanted to go look and I nearly lost it. I can't handle that nonsense. Anytime I see or hear about someone buying a cat or dog from a pet store I want to beat them with a shovel. Along with the pet store owners. NGGHH