Tuesday, June 1, 2010

weekend wrap-up

Although I had to work through the holiday weekend, we managed to have a good time, sleeping in a little and getting off base two days in a row. Most of the time Jason feels like a prisoner of the Navy, so by the time the weekend rolls around all he wants to do is get the heck out of Dodge.

All weekend we wanted to go try the lunch buffet at our favorite Indian restaurant, Taj Palace in Visalia. On Sunday we got there too late, so we went to the Firkin & Hound instead, where we sat on the patio soaking up the sun and their pirate booze. I had a sesame vegetable sauté that was out of this world. The waiter kept molesting my shoulder and at one point he asked me if I fight the law, to which I replied, "I'm fighting the law right now." Jason just laughed, because of how absurd it was that this guy was hitting on me while he was sitting right there. As if, right?

After that we went and saw Prince of Persia. I've watched Jason play through all of the video games, so I liked it. And even if you don't know the games, Jake Gyllenhaal looks pretty good as a Persian.

Yesterday we got to Taj Palace plenty early only to discover that they're closed on Mondays. Duh! So we trekked to Fresno and took over the Cheesecake Factory's patio for another two-cocktail lunch. I had my very favorite white bean hummus, my very favorite fresh vegetable salad, and a double hit of my very favorite pineapple mojito.

After the drive to Fresno, I needed a brain-erasing beverage or two. As we were heading down the highway, traffic suddenly slowed to a crawl. A fire truck, an ambulance, and a police cruiser screamed by. When we finally got up to the scene, I saw a mangled motorcycle in the ditch and immediately looked away. Jason told me that the driver was lying face-down on the side of the road surrounded by paramedics. I cried the rest of the way into Fresno. I can't find anything about the accident online, so I don't know what happened, but it sure didn't look good.

Anyway, this isn't going anywhere, is it? But I am--to bed.

4 comments:

Angela Noelle said...

I really want to see Prince of Persia--mostly just for Jake's abs and arms ;) I really like Gemma Arterton too. Glad you had a fun weekend! Sad about the wreck though :(

Salt said...

Ahhh that's so awful about the bike wreck. :( Those never seem to end very well.

It sounds like a great weekend otherwise though!

Brittany Ann said...

Your post made me hungry. Gah! I love Indian food! (Even though you didn't get to it!)

I cry at accidents like that, too. They really just upset me to look at and worry over, and I don't even know the person.

Jamie said...

I enjoyed the Prince of Persia, even if I'm still annoyed that they just up-tanned everyone instead of actually getting any actors that are actually, uh, Persian.