Friday, April 23, 2010

Foodie Friday: Can't Fight the Moonlight

It's Foodie Friday! Foodie Friday is my weekly feature that gives you a window into my kitchen. I love to cook, I love to eat, I love to read cookbooks, and I love to inspire people to give vegan food a chance. Thus, Foodie Friday was whipped up and baked to perfection.

I always wanted to be a bartender à la Coyote Ugly. Dancing on a bar? Yes please! I have done it before (back in my Norfolk days) and I loved it.


I also think I'd be good at the actual work part of it. My barista skills would have translated well to the harder stuff.

Since the days of it being possible for me to be a boot-stomping bartender are well behind me, I have to settle for mixing up drinks of my own at home. And you know that I already dance at home.

To that end, I recently created a cocktail for myself. Actually, I am drinking one right now. It's a twist on the basic vodka soda. I call it...

Sparkling Strawberry Lemonade

ice
club soda
vodka (I used McCormick... no need to go top shelf for this)
strawberry syrup (I used Torani)
lemons
fresh strawberries (optional)

Add 3 or 4 ice cubes to a 12-ounce highball glass. Fill halfway with club soda. Add one shot of vodka and 1 shot of strawberry syrup. Squeeze in juice of one lemon and add pulp to taste (I like it, I think it adds flavor). Top off with club soda if needed and stir lightly to combine. Garnish with a lemon slice and serve immediately. Muddle in some thinly-sliced strawberries if you want to be fancy. Extra points if they're pre-soaked in vodka. If you don't have any lemons, use limes! I have tried it with both and it's good both ways.

Moving on to food...

Since Jason liked it so much last week, I made an amped up version of rigatoni and kale this week, using spinach instead of kale, whole wheat penne instead of rigatoni, and adding white beans for protein.


For a light, quick dinner the other night when Jason got home from watch well after our bedtime, I modified a recipe for quinoa and green bean salad. I omitted the mint and scallions because I didn't have them. It tasted fine without them, and Jason liked it a lot.


Crap. Now I've made myself hungry.

P.S. You can't fight it!

5 comments:

Angela Noelle said...

Hahaha, I LOVE Coyote Ugly and watch it every time it comes on tv...

That drink sounds heavenly for a summer barbecue!

Jamie said...

I wish I liked cooked spinach/kale. Anton does, but I hate the texture (but love the smell. WEIRD.) Also I love that movie.

Jessica (Bayjb) said...

No joke, when I saw Coyote Ugly I said out loud, damn I want to move to NY and dance on a bar. Career aspirations early! Hot.

Salt said...

If only the real Coyote Ugly were anything like the place in the movie! I had a friend that used to work there (in NYC) and I actually had a job offer to bartend there also. The place is a total hole. With about a billion bras hanging from the ceiling. I think the ceiling was too low to actually allow for dancing on the bar. BUT she did get to spray people and wear a bikini when she worked.

That rigatoni looks phenom!

The Random Blogette said...

That rigatoni makes me salivate and so does that lemonade! Yummy! I am always looking for light summer drinks other than beer!

Make sure to stop by, I gave you an award if you want it!