Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Where in the World Wednesday: Smart Camp at Northwestern, part 2

It's Classy in Philadelphia's Where in the World Wednesday!

The idea of WITWW is to post a picture of you in someplace in the world... it doesn't have to be somewhere foreign or tropical. Just a picture of you somewhere that you consider traveling. It might even be somewhere in your own hometown!

This week we're back in Evanston, Illinois, for my second session of smart camp at Northwestern University during the summer of 1995.

I went home to Michigan for a week in between sessions, then headed right back to start my second class, creative writing. Does anyone still wonder why I became a blogger?

I came out of my shell a little more during the second session. After surviving the first session, I felt like I owned the place. I quickly made friends with the girls on my floor.


That's me on the bottom right, in the sunglasses.

Although I came out of my shell more, I was still pretty shy. Part of the problem was that I had gotten an orthodontic expander put in during my week at home (because my mouth was too small for all of my teeth) and spoke with an odd lisp because of it. As the session passed and it did its job, I also developed a gap between my two front teeth. If you look closely, you can see it below.

This was before our first dance of the session. Oh yes, we had dances. Most people stood around shuffling awkwardly, but not me. I was a dancing queen!


On the way to the Museum of Science and Industry.

After the second dance of the session.


In class on the last day. See how light my hair looks? That would be the infamous Sun-In incident. And yes, I am definitely wearing a Taz baby tee. Hello, 1995.

As for my class, creative writing, I ended up with a B. The teacher wrote in my evaluation that I "hardly participated in class discussion..." Um yeah, that was because I felt like a freak with my charming little speech impediment.

Nevertheless, I did get to learn a lot about writing and penned a few things that made me very proud. I also wrote some ridiculous poems. Behold:

I was supposed to write a poem today,
about anything,
or everything.
About and endless black void,
or the crystal snowflakes
that fall gently on
my hair
and
eyelashes
in the winter.
About a meadow
in the spring,
weeping willows
swaying
in the
light, airy breeze.
About happiness, sadness, love, regret,
or
loneliness.
I was supposed to write a poem today.

Dudes, I don't know why I'm not a famous poet.

2 comments:

Salt said...

That poem is some seriously deep, Pulitzer winning stuff right there.

I love old pictures. And I especially love that snowflake shirt that you have on in the second dance picture! Fashionable!

The Random Blogette said...

You are so cute! I used to write poems all of the time. I even took a poetry writing class in college. Your poem rawks! It reminds me of some of my goodies!

Love the TAZ baby doll tee!!!