Monday, April 5, 2010

the tail is the best part

Considering that our last Easter was spent on the floor in the fail apartment and the one before that I was doing slave labor, I was not terribly upset that Jason had to work last night. We hadn't made any plans anyway, and I was happy to stay home. I was a bit irked to wake up to the neighborhood children having an egg hunt in our yard, but soon enough their parents took them away to shriek and holler at church or at grandma's house or wherever it is that these people go.

One of my family's Easter traditions is baking bunny cookies with marshmallow tails. I don't eat marshmallows anymore and I'm too cheap to buy vegan ones, so I had to improvise and make frosting tails. I am glad to report that my version is just as good. The recipe is here.

Here's the traditional family bunny cookie:


My sister was responsible for these. The lop-eared one is on the floor because that was Velveteen's favorite spot in the kitchen. I'm pretty sure she ate it after that. Sometimes we would make a tray of just tails!

And here's my version:


I used a plastic produce bag with the corner snipped off as a piping bag and used my fingers to smoosh the tails into place.

For dinner, I made the pasta primavera recipe from Robin Robertson's 1,000 Vegan Recipes, complete with Easter-shaped pasta:


Little chicks, eggs, and rabbits!

Does anyone else make bunny cookies?

4 comments:

Angela Noelle said...

You win the award for most adorable Easter dinner! I love your little bunny cookies :)

Sissy said...

HAHA! I am awesome.

Jessica (Bayjb) said...

You do have the most awesome Easter foods. I love the bunnies, they are so ADORABLE!

Jamie said...

Those are adorable! I like the little tails.