Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Spice up your breakfast

One of my favorite breakfasts to make is tofu scramble. It's healthy, filling, and delicious. And Jason loves it. You can dress up the tofu in countless ways, but lately I've been enjoying making a black bean and corn version. I sauté a chopped onion in olive oil, toss in chopped garlic to taste, then add cubed firm tofu. Let that cook for a while, then dump in a jar of Newman's Own black bean and corn salsa. I like to add a can of corn--the burst of sweetness and the kernels' crunch is a nice foil to the smooth and spicy tofu. If we're super hungry, I'll put in a can of black beans for an added kick of protein.

When we had black bean and corn tofu scramble a few weekends ago, I made corn muffins to go with it, using special stone-ground corn meal that my mom got me from the Dexter Grist Mill on Cape Cod. Here's my veganized version of their corn muffin recipe:

3/4 cup corn meal
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
1 cup soy milk
egg replacer equivalent to two eggs (I use Ener-G)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable shortening

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in wet ingredients until well mixed. Bake in greased metal or ungreased silicone muffin tray at 425 F for 25 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments: